PE & Sports Premium
In order to improve health and well-being of children nationally, the Government created a Sports Premium Grant.
Schools are able to determine how this money is spent and are accountable for the impact of the expenditure. Having researched how best to spend this money to ensure it has a long-lasting impact, we have decided to invest in the professional development of teachers at our school so they are best equipped to teach high quality Physical Education and school sport for years to come through the use of Elite.
Spending the Pupil Premium Grant
At Upton Primary School allocation of the Sports Premium is carried out through a wide range of initiatives, projects and strategies. Provision is typically made through:
- All teachers and support staff having access to high quality CPD for increased skills, knowledge, understanding and confidence in games, gymnastics, dance and athletics.
- Investment in providing an engaging and exciting curriculum.
- An extended curriculum of extra-curricular activities to develop pupil engagement, knowledge and understanding of sport whilst increasing competitive sport within the school.
Monitoring the impact of the Sports Premium
Upton Primary School uses a range of methods to monitor the impact of the sports premium on PE, physical activity and school sport.
- Staff reviews
- Pupil surveys
- Learning walks
Governors monitor the impact of the Pupil Premium Grant expenditure through the following ways:
- Working alongside the senior leadership of the school during some of the monitoring processes.
- All Governors through committee work and visits to school contribute to the evaluation of specific initiatives, projects and strategies.
For more information about how we spend the Sports Premium, please see the Sports Premium Review below.
Sports Premium allocation for 2018/19 was £18500
Please click here to view the reviewed Sports Premium Action Plan 2018/19
Please click here to view the Sports Premium Action Plan 2019/20
Please click here to view the PE Action Plan 2019/20
Swimming and water safety
At Upton Primary School we provide all children in Year 5 with swimming instruction in line with national curriculum guidance. Our pupils are taught by qualified swim instructors and we aim to ensure that pupils can:
- swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke]
- perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations
Please click here to view the Swimming data for the academic year 2018/2019